Saturday, November 15, 2008

Not So Sure

I rarely go to the mall. In fact, I rarely go shopping other than for groceries. Partly because I'm cheap but also because there's just not really much I need. However, I decided today to get a point and shoot digital camera. I have a nice digital SLR but it's not convenient to take on business trips because I'm already slinging my laptop and suitcase. Since I'm going to LA Monday, I figured it would be nice to pick one up to take with me.

The first thing I noticed is that the traffice was unbelievable today. Given that it is a Saturday, I have to assume most of the people who were out were going to buy things. Most were probably not going to work, especially at the time I was out. For the camera, I went to Best Buy. It was pretty crowded. Plenty of people were looking at laptops, cameras, and, of course, video game systems. I then went to the mall to get a couple of pairs of casual dress pants for the trip. Again, crazy traffic, a packed parking lot, and lots of people with multiple bags in the stores.

Now, I watch the news like everyone else, maybe more than most. I read the paper every day. I know the economy really is in bad shape. Thousands have lost jobs, the home foreclosure rate has not abated, and, supposedly consumer spending is down. Despite these reports, I'm just not so sure. I've commented on this before but when I hear people complain about the economy, it seems like all they really complain about are necessities. They complain about the price of gas, health care, utilities, and keeping a roof over their heads. That being said, I almost never hear them complain about the price of luxuries. By luxury I simply mean anything that's a want rather than a need.

A lot of people at my office seem nervous about the economy. I hear them talking about it as they ride up in the elevator with their $5 Starbucks coffees. I'm convinced that many Americans don't really care much about Wall Street problems because they're not really invested in Wall Street. The savings rate of Americans has fallen to less that 2%. If you have no savings and no really retirement investments, the walloping that stocks are taking really doesn't matter to you, at least as long as you can still use your plastic. I don't really see people denying themselves that much. If they were, our roads would be a little less packed on the weekends.

Look, I know people are entitled to spend their money how they want. I also know that buying a video game or a new $300 cell phone can make people feel good when they are feeling down about their life of the nation. I bought something I didn't really need today. But, I also save more than most people I know and rarely spend money on myself for anything frivolous. The point is that we find ourselves in the current financial mess we face largely because Americans don't deny themselves anything and tend to live way beyond their means. They want to be bigshots and improve their self-esteem by showing off their collections of possessions to friends and neighbors. Our current recession was supposed to be changing that. It was supposed to be teaching people a lesson. We were supposed to "get back to basics" and appreciate the simple things in life. Judging from the behavior I continue to see when I'm out, I'm not so sure.

2 comments:

Mando Mama said...

When I went to Best Buy to pick up the printer I bought online (it was a beautiful experience -- I buy the thing online, I show up, there's no begging for help or dealing with lines) I pulled into a spot right next to a Mercedes SUV, with an Obama "Hope" sticker. I had to laugh. I suspect the driver was the daughter of the owner, waiting for her boy friend or someone else to exit the store with an armful of electronic delights. I see a lot of the same thing you do, and it's kind of maddening. Where does the money come from for all this stuff? I just bought a new furnace, and I am thrilled. I wish I could make a bunch of other badly-needed improvements and single-handedly keep the economy from shrinking even further but that risk-tolerance thing that doesn't work on these other people kicks in. Maybe they've got big rainy day funds or something.

Have fun in LA. I'm not a fan. The air really is kinda brown.

DrDon said...

I just don't get it Mando. Again, I don't mind people spending their money on whatever they want. However, if they are going to spend money on things that they want and not just on things they need, then I just want them to shut up about the economy. I don't want to hear that we should bail people out of bad mortages or bail out car companies. Some of these people who are in foreclosure have two new SUVs they're leasing. I bought the first new car I've ever had and I paid for it outright. I couldn't have done that if I bought a $40,000 car so I didn't buy something that expensive.

I guess what it comes down to is that I don't think we should save anyone unless their plight is not of their own making. But anyone who got themselves into a big mess needs to get themselves out. We'd all like to take nice vacations, drive new cars, and live in big houses but unless you're making enough money to do so, you can't. It may not be fair that others have more than you but tough shit. Life isn't fair. And if you want to live dangerously, don't use my tax money to get bailed out.