Monday, October 6, 2008

A Capitol Idea


I just can't get away from politics. I'm in DC for the next three days for work. I have to do some training for the office here. It should be pretty smooth. I like DC. It's a fun place to visit, although I won't have much time for sight-seeing this trip. Still the airport is always an adventure. More than half the people waiting for the plane we're either on their Blackberrys or their laptops. Now, I could have pulled my laptop out and looked cool too but I just don't have this kind of ego. This was at 6:30 in the morning. How many emails could these people be receiving?

The fact is that too many people today are just too self-important. There are very few people who need to constantly be in touch or checking email. People who run nuclear power plants probably need to be accessible. Of course, doctors also need to be available. And the president. That's really about it. I'd venture to say most of the people sitting in the airport were just business tools. I've really come to think that the only way these people can feel good about their mind-numbing jobs is to stay connected all the time to establish a false sense of their indispensibility.

Speaking of Sarah Palin, why do some women like her as a candidate? A lot of women think it's great to have a woman running for such a powerful office. Did they still think that after her winking and coquettish performance in the debate? Everyone was worried about Biden potentially patronizing her. He didn't have to because she did it to herself. I'm not a woman but doesn't it set women back a ways when they finally get someone to such a potentially high level and then she resorts to winking and cutesy behavior when she's in over her head? Doesn't that reinforce sexist views of women? I don't know. I've said this before and I'll say it again, I'm 43 years old and women do not, nor will they ever, make any sense to me.

3 comments:

Mando Mama said...

Well what a time to be in DC! I hope it's interesting. Maybe you can get in to watch Congress hear testimony from those fat Wall Street bastards. I watched the guy from Lehman Brothers try to fool us into feeling sorry for him today on MSNBC. It was pathetic. Seeing that live would be worth the price of airfare alone.

I wonder if those folks using their blackberries and laptops like crazy were just reading the news. I feel a little guilty because while I enjoy reading a book, I rarely take the time on a daily basis anymore to pick up a newspaper when I can get news online. However I was just informed I am being gifted with a subscription to the Nation, though, so I'm darn tootin' jazzed about that!

DrDon said...

I read the Plain Dealer every day. While I know it isn't the best paper in the world, there are stories I see in their that I would never find online because I would have to make a volitional act to look for them. In other words, you don't know what you don't know.

Unfortunately I'm in DC for work so I won't get to really do any sightseeing or sitting in on hearings. DC is still pretty at night though. Almost makes you forge all the problems.

Mando Mama said...

Son of Mando wants to go to DC for our family trip next year. Daughter I think is finally ready, but I'm trying to convince a couple of other grownups to join us because those kinds of site-intensive, intellectually-engaging "vacations" in big strange cities tend to wear me out faster since I have no one to tag-team with on the kid front.

I understand the Star Spangled Banner is back in a newly renovated space at the Smithsonian. If you get time to do only a couple things while you're there, that would be a cool one.